Monday, March 9, 2009

Much Ado About Chickens


What's the deal with chickens? Within the past days, I've become aware of two fellow "mommy bloggers" who have decided that the world is sufficiently lost (at least Alan Keyes thinks so*) and investing in baby chickens is sound advice in these trying times. I surmise that the investment is made in hopes that they (the adolescent ground-peckers) grow into egg-output vehicles, yeilding eggs for family use and consumption. When I first learned of one family's foray into urban chicken farming, I chuckled and resolved that clearly this family had too much free time on their hands. (The husband brews his own beer, but that's clearly a worthwhile and necessary enterprise, with which I take no issue and support wholeheartedly.) Shortly, more chicken-related posts followed, here and here.
But within days thereafter, I learned of another, venturing into this "fowl" territory: my overachieving-law-school-colleague/smartypants-turned-mommy-blogger. Now they had my full attention.

So I pose the question: Really? Chickens? What you buy prepackaged from Fry's or Safeway just aren't satisfactory? Even PETA has weighed in on this issue.
[* No, I do not endorse Alan Keyes. It was just a funny segue and something that popped into mind while writing that sentence. I guess I could have simply linked a graph of the Dow since the election, but that's a little too painful for many of you readers.]

[3/15/09 - I was told not to call myself a "mommy blogger."  Isn't that self evident?  I am the MOTHER OF ALL BLOGGERS.  Just kidding.]

2 comments:

Jennifer Robertson said...

I just sit back and reap the benefits...beer and eggs, what more can one ask for? :)

Stacy said...

Sigh. I feel like it's such an uphill battle to try and explain the symbiotic relationship between gardening and chicken owning, I'm just giving up now. But I am VERY excited to have made a new chicken friend thanks to you. PS -- I don't think you should refer to yourself as a mommy blogger.