Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Win One for The Mommy Bloggers!

Today, I received my ABA Journal Tech Report e-mail, and instead of trashing it instantly, I scanned it to see what's new in Legal Technology.

This article caught my eye. It seems that the "war" of online musical piracy I discussed in my law school note (published at 44 Ariz. L. Rev. 495, if you have Westlaw/Lexis/Lois/a free half hour, bus fare and coins for the copy machine at your local law library) continues, and now the collateral damage includes young mothers who haphazardly film their children gyrating to The Artist Formerly Known As Prince's (insert symbol) ("AFKAP") music.

Long story short, she posted a video of her kid dancing to Lets Go Crazy by AFKAP, and Universal Music Group told YouTube to take it down as a copyright infringement.

Instead of laying down, she just put Universal Music Group over her lap and started whacking their respective bottoms (with the help of trusty legal counsel, no less).

For you non-lawyers, the first section is all you need to read. For the rest of us non-laymen (yes, I made that up on the fly) the rest of the article is a nice distraction from your daily dribble of contracts, professional liability, tort appropriation and cy pres.

No comments: